So we’re now 5 months into 2020 and I think you’ll agree with me when I say this, “2020 sucks!”
I’m trying to stay away from the news nowadays and try to steer my focus toward something else like gardening, photography, reading thrillers, and looking for my next hiking destination. Just like this rock says, “Don’t worry, Be happy.”
My church has assigned everyone a person who will call to check up every week or so. That has helped to ease my anxiety quite a bit. Every little bit of social interaction helps even if not face-to-face.
Meanwhile, I no longer feel like I’m living with a mom and an aunt but two people who use my stuff and only talk to me when they want something. Let’s not mention my mom’s nasty expressions whenever I try to make myself something to eat, which makes me angry and sometimes lose my appetite. I often tell her, “if you don’t like what I make, then go somewhere else. It’s a 2100-square-feet house, not a one-room apartment.” She ignores me. Wait, I don’t get it, what’s so awful about a cheese omelet?
Anyway, we barely interact.
When my mom’s working (we work from home these days), she would turn the speaker on her phone, tablet, and laptop as loud as she could so nothing else could be heard in the house. My mom is obsessed with her TV shows and Youtube videos about current events. Then during those precious quiet moments, my mom would come upstairs and start complaining about her cough and ask me if she should go get tested. Annoyed, I would tell her, “Go, so I can get my 14-day quarantine over with.”
She’d snap back, “If I have it, don’t you think you would have it already?” I sighed, there’s not talking to her.
Meanwhile my aunt is either asleep, occupying the bathroom, or watching a movie. I might as well be living in this strange prison-like home.
What am I doing? This isn’t the time for negativity. Let’s turn our attention to something positive:
At the beginning of this year, before all this stuff happened, I put together a list of goals and hopes I hope to achieve and as of now, I’m happy to report I have achieve quite a few things this year.
- Try to make an additional $50 to $100 principal payment toward my house mortgage. 🙂 I am happy to report I have been putting in an additional $150 per month toward my house mortgage.
- Try to save at least $100 per month for rainy day fund. 🙂 I am putting more than that into my rainy day fund.
- Take vacation time from work 😭 Sadly, with this thing, even if I do take a vacation, there’s really nowhere to go.
- Try to look for beauty in everyday life 😊 I’m trying. Luckily, I don’t have to try hard, there are plenty of beauty in my container garden.
- Try to write more. 🙄 I’m also trying. I’m in the midst of writing a long story.
- Curb my craving for sugar. 🙂 I am happy to report that my sugar craving is finally under control thanks to my nutritionist leading me toward a new lifestyle
- Curb my craving, PERIOD. 🙂 This is curbed too although I still like a potato chip now and then but I can control it now.
- My mom’s goal, my hope: less fight among family: I’m surprised to say, there has definitely been less fighting in the family because my mom has employed the “Silent Treatment” with just about everyone by keeping her ears plugged.
- Go on more hikes: 🙄 I hope to go soon.