#WeekendCoffeeShare: 3 Days after Surgery

Hello, and my oh my, it’s cold outside. Please join me for a virtual coffee.

If we were having coffee, I would tell you I won’t be drinking coffee today. I will most likely have a warm hot chocolate or just water. As much as I would love a hot drink, it will be a while until I can.

I would also apologize for my swollen face and my having a hard time to speak. The doctor told me this would improve in 10 days.

If we were having coffee, I would tell you I had surgery on Tuesday. It was supposed to be for the extraction of 16 teeth but the doctor only got 12 teeth extracted which were all the teeth were on the left side of my mouth. The remaining 4 teeth would have to wait until my second surgery in approximately 6 weeks.

The surgery took 3-and-a-half hours. The doctor explained during the post-operation evaluation yesterday that the surgery was more complicated than he thought, having to had to reconstruct my sinus cavity. I suffered from uncontrollable nosebleeds during the first 24 hours after the surgery. It was annoying because every time I checked on my plants or eat or lower my head, blood would flow from my left nostril.

For the first 12 hours, I didn’t dare to walk anywhere as I found I was stumbling now and then. It must had been the anesthesia. I went to my room and stayed there. If I needed to go down or go anywhere in the house, I would hold on to the wall while I walked.

I can only imagine how I was that night. I could vaguely remember being placed in a wheelchair as I was drifting in and out of consciousness. I can imagine my head bobbing up and down as I was being wheeled out to my mom’s car in the darkness and in that moment, all I wanted was to sleep. I kinda saw myself looking like a mental patient.

I slept a lot during the last 3 days. I guess it was my body telling me I need to sleep in order to recover.

For now though, I guess my pain is at a tolerable level and I am hoping the swelling will go down soon.

Thank you for joining me for this weekend’s #weekendcoffeeshare. I hope we’ll both return in 2 weeks.

38 thoughts on “#WeekendCoffeeShare: 3 Days after Surgery

  1. I’m so sorry the surgery was more complicated than expected and the surgeon wasn’t able to extract all the teeth after all. It surprises me in a way that they sent you home when you were still so wobbly and having constant nosebleeds, although maybe with COVID and all it shouldn’t really be a surprise. I really hope you’ll be feeling better soon.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. I think it’s pretty normal to send patient home so quickly after an oral surgery, at least from my past experience. The doctor said today should be the peak and the swelling and pain should start to decrease tomorrow. Crossing my fingers.

      Liked by 1 person

      1. Oh yes, I misunderstood. I thought somehow that you had to go under general anesthesia for this. Indeed for oral surgery requiring just topical anesthesia it’s pretty normal to be sent home soon after the procedure.

        Liked by 1 person

      2. You didn’t misunderstand, from my previous experience, even with general anesthesia, I was sent home pretty quickly. I think it’s just typical for dental procedures since everything is done in the OR versus a separate area to prep a patient for the IV in a regular hospital setting. So there’s no post-op area where the patient can rest.

        Liked by 1 person

  2. Holy – Moly girl! 12 teeth extracted. . .

    This is huge and I hope your medical team has things under control.

    Please sit still and recover.
    Be a good patient and keep us posted.

    Can I safely wish you a great holiday season?

    Liked by 1 person

    1. It seems like they do. You do know it’s hard for me to sit still and do nothing, right? 😄
      Not to worry, I’ve been a good patient, stuck at home crocheting away while watching one movie after another.
      Yes, you can safely wish me a great holiday. 😄


  3. Golly, Yinglan! I’m with Gary on this one! Yikes! You’re sounding like a mighty warrior returning from the trenches. Tooth extraction can be a big deal. My mum had a tooth or two extracted last year and they had really deep roots and the dentist had a hell of a time getting them out and mum felt quite traumatised. I think she felt like he’d almost wrenched her head off. Well take care and get lots of rest and I wish you a speedy recovery as well as a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    Best wishes,

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Yikes, I bet she was traumatized. I don’t mind getting my teeth but I’d appreciated if I don’t have to witness the actual procedure.
      I wish you a merry Christmas and happy new year as well. 🙂

      Liked by 1 person

  4. I had no idea the surgery was going to be so extensive! You are a brave lady. Going into this holiday you were not happy that you had to spend so much time at home. It turns out it was for the best as your surgery impact was so dramatic. I was late in reading your post, but I’m glad I did, and I am more glad that you are feeling better! Continue to rest and follow directions. Get well soon!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. No, I’m not exactly glad to be stuck at home for the holidays but it looks like mother nature is going to make sure I do because it started snowing this morning and it’s supposed to go until the new year.
      I have transitioned to soft foods three days after the surgery and I was glad I could because I was constantly hungry on a liquid diet. The recovery has been quick and I hope it’s the same when I do the right side.

      Liked by 1 person

    1. Not much is going on at the moment, just healing, I hope, because it still hurts. The extraction on my right side is scheduled some time at the end of the month.


Anything you want to ask? Want to know?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s